School Science Project Causes Evacuation

SAN DIEGO — Students were evacuated from Millennial Tech Magnet Middle School in the Chollas View neighborhood Friday afternoon after an 11-year-old student brought a personal science project that he had been making at home to school, authorities said.

Maurice Luque, spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department, said the student had been making the device in his home garage. A vice principal saw the student showing it to other students at school about 11:40 a.m. Friday and was concerned that it might be harmful, and San Diego police were notified.

The school, which has about 440 students in grades 6 to 8 and emphasizes technology skills, was initially put on lockdown while authorities responded.

Read the rest of the article.

Some comments from me:

Both the student and his parents were “very cooperative” with authorities, Luque said. He said fire officials also went to the student’s home and checked the garage to make sure items there were neither harmful nor explosive.

What? Searched the student’s home? Surely they got a search warrant? Probably not. I’d guess that there was an implied threat of punishment from school officials if the student’s parents didn’t cooperate.

“There was nothing hazardous at the house,” Luque said.

Even if there were, the house is not the school so it’s irrelevant.

The student will not be prosecuted, but authorities were recommending that he and his parents get counseling, the spokesman said. The student violated school policies, but there was no criminal intent, Luque said.

Why should the student need counseling? Sounds to me like the school doesn’t really want the students to think for themselves. Isn’t this a TECHNICAL SCHOOL?

“There will be no (criminal) charges whatsoever,” Luque said.

There should be criminal charges filed against the school officials for being dumb asses.

Police and fire officials also will not seek to recover costs associated with responding to the incident, the spokesman said.

And if they do seek cost recovery, they should seek it from the school, not the student.

Luque said both the student and his parents were extremely upset.

No shit? Good thing that didn’t happen to my kid. Extremely upset would have been an understatement!

“He was very shaken by the whole situation, as were his parents,” Luque said.

Well yeah. This is a technical school. He did a technical project and it invoked an unneccessary reaction from an unintellegent school official. This guy needs to be fired ASAP.

Share on Facebook

1 Comment

Comments are closed.